This is the easiest thing to do and with the help of an oven thermometer, you just can’t get it wrong! As a bonus, the recepie can easily be altered and perfected to your liking by improvising with different spice rubs, veggies and potentially a cool stuffing!
Here is what you need:
- 1 whole chicken
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Olive oil
- A piece of cotton string
- Cooking thermometer
And here is what to do:
- Rinse the chicken in cold water and pat it dry. Remove excess fat and feather remains if necessary.
- Rub the skin generously with the spices and the olive oil until completely covered and sprinkle the cavity with the spice mix before you tie the legs of the chicken together with a string.
- Cut the carrots and place them on an oiled oven tray.
- Place the bird on top of the carrots and put the thermometer in the bird. It is important to place the thermometer as close to the bone of the chicken as possible!
- Put the bird in the oven on 140 degrees Celsius.
- That’s it really! Now just wait for the temperature to reach 82-85 degrees, take the bird out and let it rest for about 10 min before carving it!
Easy as that, you will have a roast chicken! Now if you wanna make this bird a bit mor exciting you can always change up the spice mix to something like for example a cocoa rub, a honey/rum rub or something more spicy like a chimichurri rub! You can also mix the carrots up with for example celery, onion, potatoes or whatever veggie you like! If you wanna go even further with this chicken, why not stuff it with a lemon cut in half, some garlic and some fresh herbs or whatever other stuffing you can come up with?!