My mother used to cook cod in egg sauce for me and my sister when we were kids and this dish really brings me back to my childhood. This hearty fish recipe is both inexpensive and easy to make and it is the perfect comfort food after a long day.
Here is what you will need:
- 5 eggs
- 4-6 cod fillets (other types of white fish like haddock or Alaska pollock also works and do not worry if you buy frozen fish here, it is way cheaper and for this dish it actually works pretty darn well!)
- 2 carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 stick of celery (optional)
- 1 lemon
- 1 dl water
- 50 gram butter
- 3-4 dl milk
- ground white pepper
- a bunch of fresh parsley
- Potatoes and garden peas to serve with!
here is what you do:
- The first thing you want to do is to boil the eggs for about 9-10 min to make sure that they are hard boiled and not runny. When they are done, run them under cold water until cool. Peel the eggs, roughly chop them and put them to the side for now.
- Put the potatoes to a boil in salted water. I washed my potatoes and kept the peel on but you can of course peel them if you want.
- Roughly chop the carrots, the onion and the celery and put them in an oven proof dish together with 25 grams of the butter, the fish, one deciliter of water and a couple of slices lemon. Place it in the oven on about 150 degrees celcius for about 20-30 min or until the fish is cooked.
- Take the fish out from the oven and move the fillets to a clean dish.
- Discard of the vegetables but make sure that you keep the juices that has created on the bottom of your dish.
- In a seperate pan, get started on making your classic white sauce by melting the rest of the butter (25 grams) in a pan. Add the flour and stir until you have a paste. Gradually add the milk whilst stirring and keep stirring until you bring the sauce to a boil. At this point your sauce will start thinkening and you can turn down the heat.
- Flavour the sauce with salt, white pepper, a squeeze of lemon and the juices from your fish.
- Add the chopped eggs to the sauce and use a scissor to cut down some branches of parsley.
- Pour the sauce over the fish fillets and sprinkle with some parsley leaves.
- Serve with the boiled potatoes and some garden peas. Enjoy!