Avocado is on of my absolute favourite ingredients and here is how to use it as a base for a fresh, vibrant and delicious soup! This can be enjoyed warm or cold and I think it is the perfect appetiser for a nice dinner.
you will need:
- 1 finely chopped shallot onion
- 1 fish stock cube + 450 ml water 0r 450 ml fish stock
- 2 big ripen avocados or 3 smaller ones
- The juice of a lime
- A handful of fresh cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 2 dl Whipping cream
- A couple of handfuls of cooked and peeled prawns – I use Swedish prawns but whatever prawns you can get your hands on will be great, cook them yourself or get prawns that are already cooked.
- salt and pepper
- Pea shoots for decoration
here is what you need to do:
- In a pot, sweat the shallot.
- Add the water to the onion and dissolve the fish stock in there.
- Blend the avocado, cilantro leaves and lime juice to a smooth puree.
- Whip the whipping cream.
- Gently fold the avocado puree into the whipped cream.
- Slowly pour the fish stock into the avocado cream until you reach the consistency you would like your soup to be – you might not need all the stock, it depends on how thick you want your soup.
- Carefully heat up the soup on the stove. Be careful! You do not want to heat the soup up too much since the heat will turn the avocado brown and make your soup loose that nice vibrant green colour.
- Adjust the flavour with salt and pepper and potentially some lime juice.
- Put a couple of prawns in the bottom of a bowl and pour the soup over them. Garnish with some cilantro leaves and a couple of pea shoots.