A simple and yummy tip to add some attitude and flare to your dinner is to make your own salsa. Here comes an extraordinary, vibrant and mega fresh kiwi salsa that goes beautifully with fish tacos or any other dish in need of a fruity and spicy condiment!
Here is what you need:
- 4-5 spring onions
- 1 kiwi
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 green chili or jalapeño
- The juice and peel of 1 lime
- 1/2 a pot of fresh coriander
- A splash of water (if needed)
- Salt & black pepper
- A dash or two of tabasco or similar hot sauce
When I make this salsa, I use my ninja bullet blender but you could also do it by hand with a mortel or in another handheld or stationary food processor.
And here is how you do it:
- Peel the kiwi and cut it in two halves.
- Cut the chili in half and remove the seeds.
- Deseed the bell pepper and cut into quarters (you will only need two of the quarters, the other two can go back into the fridge!).
- Cut the green ends of the salad onions and put the white parts back into he fridge!
- Chuck all these lovely green veggies in a dry hot pan and let them caramelise. Do not be scared if it looks like it burns here, they should be charred and lovely like that!
- Let the veggies cool down a couple of minutes and then put them in your blender.
- Add the stalks and leaves of your coriander, the zest and juice from one lime and mix until really smooth. If you need to add a splash of water to make it easier to mix, go ahead and do so!
- At this point it´s time for you to balance the flavours of your salsa. It will definitely need a touch of salt and black pepper and I also like to add a couple of dashes of tabasco ot hot sauce to give it extra attitude! A tiny sprinkle of smoked paprika powder work great with the charred veggies and is also a nice touch. DONE!